Friday, January 15, 2010

Story from the Train

This morning we taught upper level classes for for about 5 hours. It was fun to have conversations and make connections with students who can actually converse. Our hope is that these connections will bring them back to the night events so they can hear our testimonies and the gospel.

Tonight we have an overnighter at the school across the street. So we are currently preparing for a night full of games, fun, testimonies and little sleep.

There isn't much to update, but I wanted to share a cool story that happened yesterday on the way to the children's homes. Joanie and I hopped in a train car with a Czech woman who had a dog and a girl about 17. I started petting the dog and asked the women one of the only phrases I knew in Czech, "Jak se menuash?" (What is your name?). They smiled and told me. The older woman started asking why I was here and through Joanie's translation I told her that we were here teaching English in schools ect. and Joanie got the opportunity to share that she is a missionary here and is probably going to go to church with the woman. We were also able to give the two women tracks and new testaments.

Situations like these make me reevaluate the way I live back home. God is constantly placing opportunities in front of us to connect with people who don't know Him, whether that's in schools, stores, trains or airplanes. As Christians it should be our desire to tell others about the love of Christ. On a missions trip it is easier to make the most of these opportunities that He places in front of us because our mind is more focused on it. But shouldn't this be the way I live and act back home? Shouldn't we all take advantage of the many different opportunities that God gives us to connect with people who don't know Him. Maybe it's just inviting the random people we come across to church or other events where we can continue to build that relationship or maybe it's fully sharing the good news of Christ with them right then and there. Whatever the situation, if we step out in boldness the Holy Spirit will guide us in the right direction, but being here has reminded me that I do need to step out more.

Pray for the older woman, Marie, that she will have a desire to go to the church with Joanie.
Also, pray for the students who come to the overnighter.

Thanks for reading and praying.

Abby --- and the rest of the team!

2 comments:

  1. It is so good to be reading about all of the great things happening in the Czech this year. I went last year, and I wish so much that I could be there again. I enjoyed going through your blog. Know that we are praying for you here!

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby!! Just prayed for you and thought we'd check out the blog. We're praying for you and the team! Glo with God! We know He's doing great things in and through each one of you!
    The Ohlmans - Hudsonville, Mi

    ReplyDelete